[AT] Old test for a bad valve?--followup

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Wed Sep 1 23:04:53 PDT 2004

Thanks for the great response!  My question is answered.  Forgot to say I
can't do a compression test since its a diesel engine and don't have that
kind of equipment--especially for a Perkins (MF 175).  Looks like I have a
bad exhaust valve on cylinder 3 or 4 since thats the port that is "poping"
the paper.  Hope a valve job is all I need! ....which I can handle myself
with my semi-antique valve seat grinder and valve re-facer.  Then, if the
injectors are OK I'll be back in business.   I found a shop in
Milton-Freewater that will bench test them at no charge.   Nice to find
people like that!     John