[AJD] Re: Flat Spoke rear wheels - Spencer

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 20:56:07 PDT 2004

Spencer,
I am curious what parts catalog you are using for your B information, and
does it show part numbers starting with the prefix B rather than JD, or is
that your shorthand for B wheels?  If it is a late catalog, the JD1270R will
show up, as the earlier wheels have been superceded by the bolt in hub wheel
and are no longer listed.

My database indicates all JD1270R I have seen to date have 1 3/4" spokes, so
I am interested in your wheels - where are you measuring the width?
Sometimes there is readable information stamped inside the rim - including
the manufacturer, the Tire and Rim Association stamp, the rim size, and the
date of manufacture.  If you could check for that info, I would be
interested in the date when 1 1/2" spokes were used.

Part numbers for bolt-in hubs, clamps, and late wheels may have the casting
numbers on the outside - the first use of casting numbers was on the inside
of the wheels.  I should have been more specific.

I have no information that the JD1240R number was used for a steel wheel -
all my parts catalogs, repair catalogs, field service bulletins, JD wheel
catalog, and branch house bulletins show this wheel as described in my
earlier post.  The first flat steel 12 spline wheel was the JD1236R (weak
hub), followed by the JD1257R (heavy hub), then the JD1265R with the bolt-in
hub.  A similar series exists for the skeleton wheels.

It is true that some French & Hecht hub casting numbers were used for
several wheels - a good example is the unstyled B, where the HC177 hub was
used both for the round spoke wheel for rubber, and the flat spoke skeleton
wheel.

Duane Larson