[AJD] Re: Flat Spoke rear wheels - Spencer

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Tue Oct 26 07:42:43 PDT 2004

>...snip...  At about 191303 to 200999 the
>new JD1270R wheel (with the same rim) was available for both the A and B,
>as it had a bolt-in hub.  This wheel had 16 spokes, and the spokes were a
bit
>larger (1 3/4" wide).  This wheel used the B2188R bolt-in hub for the 12
>spline B's, and a B2187R bolt-in hub with 10 splines was available for the
>unstyled B.  Both hubs used the B2189R hub clamp.

>Drive wheels built by JD after 2/15/41 had part numbers cast in the INSIDE
>of the hub - normally not a large casting so the numbers can be hard to
>read.

I am not trying to say I'm right, you are wrong or anything because I have
nothing to go on but the parts manual (something that has been wrong
before), but here is what I am reading in the P.C. and what I have on the
tractor:

1 - The B-1270-R you mention above, with one exception (see the next item)
is indeed the wheel I appear to have - just as you stated.  Part numbers
are right and everything.  However, according to my parts book, the 1270R
you describe above starts at serial number 60,000 - not 191303.

2 - My spokes are definitely 1-1/2" wide.

3 - My parts numbers are on the outside of the hub and hub clamp.

4 - The first wheel wheel you describe (and not quoted here in my message -
B-1240-R ) exactly matches, in terms of individual part numbers, number of
spokes, etc, the flat spoke _steel_ wheel for the B, not rubber tire flat
spoke wheel.   The part number for the whole flat spoke on steel assembly
appears to be B-1265-R though and not B-1240-R.  In fact, the part number
B-1240-R is NOT in the part list at all.   I am thinking this may be a part
invented after my parts catalog was printed.

Again, all of this is according to my parts catalog so everyone jump in and
please tell me if I am wrong so I can start making margin notations (-;

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net