[Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 06:49:53 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Spencer Yost" <yostsw at atis.net>
To: <ford-ferguson at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

> Couple of things:
>
> 1 - A regular $99 shop press will press the liners - I have done it a few
> times with no problems - even the thin-wall liners.  Just be careful to
> make sure you start them straight.
In addition to the three Ford N service manuals, I also checked the
appropriate chapters in "How to Rebuild and Restore Farm Tractor Engines" by
Spencer Yost (MBI ISBN 0-7603-0661-3), but the only references were for
installing the thick wall sleeves, which I have done sucessfully.

> 2 - Bearings can look fine and still be so worn that they allow oil
> pressure to drop.   Plasti-gauge them to be absolutely sure.   You can NOT
> look at them and decide they are ok.
Agreed!

>   Replacing the oil pump is never a
> bad idea anyways so do that do if you can afford it.
With the Ford N, it appears that repair kits are reasonable, but new pumps
are no longer available.I will "mike" the clearances in the old one and
probably order the repair kit.

Thanks,

Mike