[AJD] Plow for B

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Oct 17 16:36:14 PDT 2004

On 10/17/2004 at 3:55 PM Dean VP wrote:
>Spencer:
>
>Wow, $550 is too much money for a 52 even if it is in really good
>unrestored
>condition. I would struggle paying half that.

My sentiments exactly.   You bring up a good point to discuss though.  I am
not sure what a good price for a plow is, though the few I have paid
attention to over the last 3 year have had prices that I thought were a
little alarming.   Here are the prices I remember over the last few years
while shopping half-heartedly(I have only had this B for 3 years).
Everyone chime in and let me know if my memory is serving me well or not:

There seem to be 3 different plows:

$150-$250 are missing stuff (like $50 coulters) and are really beat up and
welded.  Rubber tired models need new tires.

$250-$350 ones seem to have something significant wrong - ie bent stuff,
maybe welded, munged up hitch but usually reasonably complete.

$350-$450 ones are good to excellent unrestored and complete.

Couple of notes:

Every once a while you can get lucky and buy one for $25 a yard sale - I am
not talking about those plows
12" bottoms seem to add a bit
More common models (like the 44s) bring the price down a tad.
Sand blasted and painted only adds a little - unlike tractors where a $50
paint job can add $500 to the price at an auction