[AJD] Plow for B

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Oct 17 12:37:46 PDT 2004

Spencer, I have never figured out JD's rational for plow model numbering
other than there seems to be a progression followed:

4, 4A, 4B, 4D, 44, 44A, 444 etc

5, 55, 555, etc

6, 66, 666

7, 77, 777

But the numbers don't have meaning in the sense of the number of bottoms
except for the 51 (one bottom) and the 52 (two bottom) and the 51 and 52
don't seem to follow any family progression.

In the context of the JD era we are discussing, integral means a plow that
is mounted under the front frame rails of a tricycle tractor, pivoted and
the beams are slung under the rear axles and eventually the plow bottoms are
attached to the beams. They are either lifted with a hand lever, the rocker
arm or a hydraulic cylinder.

The 4's and 52's are classic collector two bottom plows but I have seen very
few of these in 12" bottom configuration. This may be different in your
area. The highest volume of plows are either 2 x 14" or 2 x 16" in the
Midwest or WA. You may be out looking for wheel weights for the 1939B when
pulling a two bottom plow, especially the land wheel. Compatible period
correct wheel weights for the 1939B are fairly common.

I own two 101A plows and one 101 two way single bottom plow tag along. One
of the 101A's is on rubber tires (4 x 21"). Try to find used tires in that
size that have lugs so that the trip lift mechanism works. ME Miller sells
new ones for $150 each. Wow, $300 in tires for a stinking plow. I use knobby
motorcycle tires. I also found a set of new automobile tires in that size.
If those need to be used tire chains will be employed. I plan to use the
101A plow as a parade item behind the 40B or 42H. It is a bit unique. I'm
not very impressed with how the 101's are made. They are bit flimsy and
wobbly. JD made a two and three bottom versions of these two way plows too,
a model 202 and 303 which came out after your B did. Two or three bottoms
each way. They are mechanical monsters with trip or hydraulic lift. The
model 4's and the 51 or 52 are sturdily built.

Dean A. Van Peursem

Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com