[AT] 100 year old stumps are nasty

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Thu Oct 14 08:13:28 PDT 2004

I can take a picture of a red cedar post that absolutely has been in place
for 65 years or more.   Looks pretty rough and probably won't make it
another 10 years, but who can complain with 75 years of service??  My
neighbor vouched, as I pulled one of the last ones remaining, that a few
years after he and his family moved into the place in the late 1920s they
created a small holding pen for animals and the posts I was pulling were
red cedar logs for that pen.   He wasn't sure how long it was after they
moved in, he left home for WWII in 1943 and he said it was a good long
while before then.

As good as red cedar is for posts, most folks in this area(myself included)
go a short drive to the mountains and buy black locust posts.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net