[AJD] 1930 GP Leaky Radiator, Ensign Carb, Air Cleaner

bwhdon acton at onramp.bz
Fri Oct 8 05:38:39 PDT 2004

I'd use the Baars leak or stop leak stuff , pepper goes better on steaks.
did you check the bolts holding the botton tank on? You might try some
berrymans gas additive in the fuel , cleans out the gunck in the fuel line
and carbon in the uppper clylinders. Running with the chock on could be an
indication of a bad intake valve, but if you haven't taken the carb apart
and cleaned it out could be some old fuel restricting the fuel. You might
try turning the idle or power adjusting valves to see if it changes it, they
should be a turn to a turn and half. How cold is the carb? is it iceing up ?
Does this GP have the water injection valve?

Is the stuff in the air cleaner animal or vegtable fiber or is it the spun
metal that a good soaking in solvent would clean out? I think most JD's air
cleaners were soldered or spot welded together.

Don