[AJD] 1930 GP Leaky Radiator, Ensign Carb, Air Cleaner

Luke Tonneberger jdgp1930 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 10:06:03 PDT 2004

Hi Don,

Yes, this carb has the water injection. The tube is pinched off on the carb and the block is also blocked off so it is not functional. The carb isn't icing up but feels really cold to the touch. It has tremendous compression so I don't think the intake valve is bad. Plus the problem comes and goes, and if the intake was bad I would think it would consistantly need to be choked.  I'm going to stop after work today at NAPA and get some of the Berrymans Gas Additive. I'll try that first and maybe it will dissolve some of the gunk if there is any in there.

Also will pick up the Barr's radiator stuff.  Anybody know how many gallons the radiator and block holds? I'm not sure how big of a container to get. I didn't check the bolts holding on the bottom of the radiator. It's actually leaking where the tubes or fins enter into the bottom casting I think.

I'm not sure what the air cleaner material was made of. What kind of solvent should I soak it in? Mineral Spirits?

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA
=================================
bwhdon <acton at onramp.bz> wrote:
I'd use the Baars leak or stop leak stuff , pepper goes better on steaks.
did you check the bolts holding the botton tank on? You might try some
berrymans gas additive in the fuel , cleans out the gunck in the fuel line
and carbon in the uppper clylinders. Running with the chock on could be an
indication of a bad intake valve, but if you haven't taken the carb apart
and cleaned it out could be some old fuel restricting the fuel. You might
try turning the idle or power adjusting valves to see if it changes it, they
should be a turn to a turn and half. How cold is the carb? is it iceing up ?
Does this GP have the water injection valve?

Is the stuff in the air cleaner animal or vegtable fiber or is it the spun
metal that a good soaking in solvent would clean out? I think most JD's air
cleaners were soldered or spot welded together.

Don