[AJD] 1930 GP Leaky Radiator, Ensign Carb, Air Cleaner

Luke Tonneberger jdgp1930 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 04:29:39 PDT 2004

Hi Everybody,

I've been reading the list for a few weeks now and I have a few questions.  I picked up a 1930 GP on full steel a few weeks ago. Did a little governor work to it, new sediment bowl gasket, cleaned the points up to get spark and it fired it up. After running it a few times, the last time I ran it for 45 minutes or so and a leak developed near the bottom of the radiator, where the radiator core meets the lower casting. It is still leaking, but not very much. It has maybe leaked out a pints worth in a couple weeks time while sitting. When it was hot and running it was dripping at a fairly good rate but now it drips very little. I've heard of putting pepper in the radiator, but not sure how much to put in there. I suppose I could also stop at NAPA and buy some Baarrs radiator leak stuff, but don't know how good that stuff is or if it will just gunk up the works.  Any advice or input would be appreciated.

After the tractor runs for 5 to 10 minutes it wants to die. I can about half choke it or a little more than half and it will continue running good. It will then run a little rich after another 5 minutes and I can take the choke off. Then 5 to 10 minutes later it wants to die and I have to choke it again. The carb feels cold when it is running. It sat for quite a few years before I got it running. I didn't take the carb apart because I didn't want anything to go sproing like taking apart the rope recoil on a lawnmower. The fuel tank is really clean and the sediment bowl is also. Anything I should look for or do? Should the carb be really cold when the tractor is running?

One last question.... I took the air cleaner apart and had the canister in hand. It looks like coarse hair in there with a tube running through the middle with fine holes in it. I thought I would take the coarse hair stuff out to clean the air filter. I couldn't get the works to slide out and didn't want to ruin it so I just left it. How does the air cleaner come apart so you can clean it out?

Pictures of the GP can be seen here:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/gp/jdgp1930.html

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan