[AT] Tobacco harvesting

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Oct 4 07:07:28 PDT 2004

Charlie -- Spencer -- What you're saying in this thread kind of
surprises me.  Maybe it shouldn't.  For heaven's sake, I'm not exactly
"in the loop" on tobacco farming.  I never did it, I've only watched it.
But I still see the old style barns being used in western Kentucky with
the tiers of sticks arranged all the way from the roof to the ground and
with the tall slender doors along all sides to let air circulate.  Most
of them are painted black, and they don't even say, "See Rock City."
:-)

But I am probably located on the fringe of the growing area and they may
be growing a special variety where they can still afford to do it the
old-fashioned way.

FWIW, I have a distant cousin who owns and lives on an antebellum
plantation on Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.  When I visited with him
several years ago, he was in the process of "preserving" the tobacco
barn that's out behind the house.  It has not been modified and still
has all the notches in place on the beams and he still has a large
collection of sticks to fit.  The only strange thing about it is that
it's painted white.

Larry