[AT] Tobacco harvesting

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Oct 4 07:43:49 PDT 2004

Hi Larry,  the barns you are looking at in Kentucky are probably air dried
tobacco barns where as ours here are "flue curred".  The process is slightly
different but the sticks are likely similar.   When I came along most barns
were "fired" with either oil or gas burners inside the barn.  We had one log
barn that was still wood fired by brick fire boxes in 2 sides of the barn
but I can't remember seeing it used that way.  My dad converted it to oil
burners when I was a little fellow.   The old fire boxes were still there
but had been bricked up when I was old enough to be involved.  Unfortunately
that barn came into disrepair and fell down.  It is long since gone.
It is nice to preserve those old things and I'd love to have it back as well
as our "pack house" (barn that stored the dried tobacco while it was being
prepared for market) that fell about 5 years ago.  Unfortunately it takes a
lot of money to keep up things you don't need.  The pack house was well over
100 years old and was originally a cotton gin building.

Charlie