[AT] Tobacco harvesting

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Oct 4 05:32:00 PDT 2004

>Hi gang,   I don't know where the construction of that sentence above came

>from.  I can't believe I actually wrote it that way.

Hey Charlie,

I didn't even notice it when I quoted it.   You probably could have kept
quiet and no one would have been the wiser (-;

>I can't imagine tobacco stalks being used as sticks.  They must have saved

>them from the previous years crop and dried them.   Burley tobacco is (or
>was ) generally havested all at one time by cutting the stalk off with the

>leaves still attached ( I think I'm correct about that).  Flue cured
>tobacco

No, they picked it the same way, and I am sure the sticks were left over
from the previous year.  They didn't cut the stalk with the leaves.

My source for the tobacco sticks story was my neighbor, who died this past
spring and raised tobacco and other crops on my property in the barns and
buildings that I now own(or I at least own the foundations that are left
(-; ).  Another great source of information gone.  He was my haying buddy
and helped tremendously,  As to the sticks, I am quite sure because he
mentioned it on several occasions.  I couldn't tell you the details as to
how he did it, though I am left with the impression there was another set
of small poles that latter evolved into dimension lumber (and what I think
others are calling lathes) that crossed the tier poles.  The sticks, or
stringers, sat on these and therefore the distance was smaller.

Again though, his story was the sticks were abandoned and stringers were
used solely by WWII/1950s.  Also, I have heard the stick thing from others.
 I'll ask around and see if I got my facts straight.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net