[Steam-engine] hobby boilers

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Sun Oct 3 17:00:01 PDT 2004

I would geuss that they started stamping some Boilers with the ASME Clover
leaf as early as late 15 or early 16. My 40 Case ( 1916 ) Is ASME. Not all
boilers constructed according to the ASME code were stamped as such. Here in
Wisconsin they will not recognise a Boiler as ASME unless it has a Good
Clover leaf stamp or the original paperwork proving it. I would geuss about
90 % of operating traction engines with original boilers are Non ASME.

Many boilers made as late as the end of traction engine production were Not
ASME. For example the Case 60 and 75 HP boilers as they were lap seam and
made untill 1924 or thereabouts. According to original Case literature they
would pass the canadian rules and could be used in all states for
agricultural purposes.

My 24 Minnie ( 1920 ) is considered Non ASME because I can not find any
clover leaf stamp. I have cleaned and looked all over and it is not to be
found. I have original catalogs stating ASME construction but they will Not
buy that. It is Butt Strap construction and has all the through stays ect
required and is made of the proper material ( 55,000 tensil strength ).

We do / did have what they called the Wisconsin special for Scale models.
There are many of these around. It is getting very dificult to get these
approved and inspected. If anyone has one of these be sure to keep your
inspection current as once they are out of the system it will be almost
imposible to get them approved...

With the implementation of new rules requiring UT testing every 5 years
there has been a Lot of Derating as far as operating pressure is concerened.
I hear of a Lot of shows getting their insurance canceled because their Ins.
Co. don't like Steam Engines anymore...

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Minneapolis Steam Engine,
Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R. Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/