[Steam-engine] hobby boilers

G&M Christoffersen glemar at astreet.com
Sun Oct 3 10:51:21 PDT 2004

There are really only two categories, your numbers 2 & 3.  The original
traction engine boilers are either  "code" or "non-code", depending on
when they were built.  I'm not sure of the exact year that the ASME
boiler code was adopted, I think somewhere between 1910 and 1915.
Generally, anything older is non-code, and anything newer is code.  Of
course, there may be some exceptions.  I've never seen any numbers, but
I would guess that more than 50% of running traction engines today have
non-code boilers.

Now to your question on non-code model boilers -- I have a 1/3 scale
Case engine with 9 1/2 inch diameter non-code boiler.  It is
certificated for 150 psi by California and Washington, and for 100 psi
in Oregon.  (Oregon has an arbitrary limit of 100 psi on model boilers,
regardless of their construction.)  Now you only have 47 states to go!

Glen Christoffersen
Redwood City, CA