[AT] Tobacco lathes and Charity Sneak Peak

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Oct 3 15:32:25 PDT 2004

On 10/3/2004 at 5:45 PM Mike Sloane wrote:

>to windmills, mules, courting buggeys, church pews, tobacco lathes
>(whatever they are), and implements of all kinds. And of course the

In the old days, tobacco leaves were cured by stringing them together into
bunches at the stems and then these are hung from wooden cross-boards in
the curing barn.   Basically there are layers upon layers of these filling
the barn.  These boards are called stringers around here, or "lathes" in
other parts of the state and/or country I understand.

Speaking of tobacco, I just wanted to give everyone a sneak peak at one of
the items that will be donated to the charity auction this holiday season:

http://www.mccluregallery.net/agriculture.htm

and then look for the print entitled "Planting Time".  The subject is the
artist's family planting tobacco when he was young.  (Which would have
eventually been cured on stringers (-; )  I picked up the print directly
from the artist this weekend so it is autographed(on the matte).  The print
is signed and numbered too:  29 of 8000.  The artist knew the tractor was a
Farmall 100 so he must be telling the truth (-;

Here is more about the artist

http://www.iveyhayesart.com

He has probably a half a dozen or more tobacco paintings that shows the
various activities during tobacco farming.   Included in this group of
paintings is one entitled "Hanging tobacco" and shows the leaf on
stringers.

Anyways, interesting you brought up tobacco the day I come back in town
with a tobacco painting for the Charity auction (-;

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net