[AT] Some ads from the 10/2 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Oct 3 14:45:27 PDT 2004

Dudley Rupert wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I am sure yours' is the right interpretation - at least more so than mine!
> I think it's amusing/head scratching to try and diagram some of these ads.
> With the multiple subjects, modifiers that are as apt to appear after the
> subject as before and almost total lack of punctuation I think five
> different folks would often come up with five different interpretations.
For those of you who may not have been around when I explained the
process of placing an ad in "Mailbox Markets", here it is:

Subscribers to Lancaster Farming are entitled to place one or two ads
per month in "Mailbox Markets". We have to fill out a coupon from the
paper and attach the mailing label (to prove we are subscribers). There
are only 20 spaces to put words in, and we need to include the country
and telephone number. That is the easy part.

Many of the subscribers are Amish of one kind or another, and some don't
have telephones, some only answer the phone on weekdays, some arrange
for a phone line and have only an answering machine or work their sales
through a local "English" (non Amish friend or neighbor). In addition,
many of the Amish don't believe in extensive education and pull the kids
out of school in the lower grades or have them attend an Amish academy
(in Lancaster). And since they often speak mostly a kind of antique
German (with some modern words that have Germanticized - "der
telephonerringer") with english as a second language, the resulting ads
can be amusing. (It is not unusual to see ads for a "Ford 9 end", for
instance.) Anyone old enough to remember the Saturday Evening Post and a
cartoon called "Henrich Schnibble" (or something like that) will
understand why some of the ads come out funny to us. In addition, the
clerks at Lancaster Farming have to figure out the scribbled ads and get
550 or so keyed in every week in time for the Saturday edition, so
mistakes happen. (There are also the "Wanted" and "Notices" categories
that I don't bother with.) And as you can imagine, the paid classifieds
take precedence over the free ads when it comes to proof reading. :-)

I select only a few ads that interest me and (hopefully) you folks, but
there are ads for just about everything you can imagine from accordians
to windmills, mules, courting buggeys, church pews, tobacco lathes
(whatever they are), and implements of all kinds. And of course the
usual hay, cows, dairy equipment, and the kind of stuff that you would
expect in a farming area.

As it happened, the paper comes out on Saterday, and I received about 10
calls on my Farmall H ad. One man came out this morning, chatted for a
while, kicked the tires, haggled a little, and drove away with the
tractor and all the pieces on his trailer. It turned out that he has a
collection of 60 tractors in various states of repair, including half a
dozen H models. He wasn't aware of ATIS, but he is now. :-) I was still
getting calls late into Sunday afternoon.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government
when it deserves it. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)