[AT] Tobacco lathes and Charity Sneak Peak

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Oct 3 18:23:15 PDT 2004

Hi Spencer,  I enjoyed looking at the art work.   The tobacco them stuff is
my heritage.   There is nothing in those pictures that I haven't done.  Down
East (NC) we called them tobacco sticks, the same as the artist does in one
of his titles.   I still have around 1000 tobacco sticks.  Most are 50's
vintage and sawed in a lathe  mill but I have a good number of hand split
ones.   I don't know what happened to our graded sticks ( sanded down to
smooth  round dowel shape and used for taking the graded tobacco to market)
they all disappeared sometime while I was away in college and tenant farmers
were tending our  land.

Your painting should be a good addition to the charity auction!

Charlie