[AJD] JD 50 questions/Dean VP

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Nov 25 21:57:56 PST 2004

Gordon:

A JD 50 can use an 800, 800A or an 801 hitch on it. The 800 hitch (3
different versions) came out in late 1953, and the 800A came out in mid 1955
and the 801 later in 1955 obsolescing the 800 hitch. These were not factory
installed; they were dealer installed so any one would be correct. Then JD
offered an upgrade kit to upgrade the three versions of the 800 hitch and
800A hitch to an 801 version. But the upgrade kit did not include all the
same parts as a true 801 hitch. So there are 3 different 800 hitches, an
800A hitch, a 801 hitch, 3 different 800 hitches that have been upgraded to
an 801 and one 800A that has been upgraded to an 801. So there are 9
different legitimate versions for those of us who care about such mundane
details. Then there were the farmer modifications and the number of
permutations is almost endless.

But the lift arms casting numbers are very definitive. P815A and P816A were
only used with the 800 version of the hitch. These lift arms were changed on
an upgrade of an 800 to 801. So you have an 800 version of the hitch, unless
there have been some farmer modifications. I'll send to your private email
the hand out I used at the GOG for further info on these lift arms.

Interesting that you also find the PC397 confusing. I found the PC 397 to be
terribly confusing and that is why I finally dug into the hitches to figure
them out.

2.) To be 800 series hitch correct the two brackets DA 5933A & DA 5934A are
bolted to the 50 drawbar frame (stud forward) and the two lower draft arms
are mounted on to these bracket's studs with castle nuts and large washers.

3.) I don't understand what you are trying to tell me on this item. Do you
have a better description or possibly a picture you could show me? JD did
offer extension links to lengthen the lift links to allow the draft links to
drop lower but primarily for the JD 70. There are two different versions of
these extensions one which made the lift link with extension more rigid. If
this is what you have on yours I will be very interested as I have never
been able to find an original one of these. There are others on the list who
will be interested in them as well for nothing more than to get their
dimensions. This would be a really interesting find.

4.) I'll need to go out to the shop and measure my 50 tomorrow to see if I
can get you some dimensions.

I have lots of 800 hitch info on my picture site. There may be something
there that might help you as well:

http://public.fotki.com/deanvp/hitches/jd/800_series-1/

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290