[AT] Concrete slab

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Tue Nov 23 12:12:12 PST 2004

My FIL was a Arkansas rock mason by trade.  They build with native
sandstone.  He did a lot of misc. flat work with his mortor mixer a section
at a time.  It's been a long time since I helped mix mud, but I think
masonry cement is mixed 1 part cement to 2 parts sand and water to taste.
Concrete was 1 portland, 2 sand and 3 gravel.  The gravel was usually clean
river rock, crushed lime may be "sandy" and you need to adjust the sand down
a little.

All the concrete on the farm was probably batch mixed, some didn't last
because of either no footing or rats excaveted below.  Some is OK after
nearly 100 years.  The footings had aggregate the size of footballs to
stretch the portland!

My shop (18' x 18') had a batch mixed slab but no steel.  It has cracked and
frost heaves on the north side.  I have to tilt the inside sliding door
inward when it's frozen.  Another problem was that they didn't corner brace
around the sliding door and I have a /___/ shaped shop instead of |___|.
That makes the doors taller too.

---