SV: [AT] Mattias at Portland

Rob Gray robgray at epix.net
Wed Mar 24 17:32:24 PST 2004

It is interesting how the american brewing business has changed over the
past few decades. (Hey, I worked in a huge beer/liquor store in college
so the subject interests me)... There's a lot more variety available
now. As I understood it there was a great variety of brewing here before
prohibition, but the heart of the brewing industry was taken with
prohibition. Over the last 20 years though, you can find very decent
beer brewed right here in the US of A. I stick with the good old
"Amurican" stuff though. Yuengling is the brand in these parts, and is
the USA's oldest brewer. They say that many much older brewers went out
of business with prohibition... Yuengling makes a decent lager and I
like their black and tan too. I've heard that Yuengling Lager is close
to Bud as the #1 beer on tap in Philly. If you ever pass through the
Pottsville, Pennsylvania area, I recommend you stop in and tour their
old brewery. Cool place...

    http://www.yuengling.com/

Bass Ale is definitely a good beer too, I'll agree, but a bit pricey...