[AT] OT Ford

Thomas O. Mehrkam tomehrkam at houston.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 17:19:10 PST 2004

Actually if it is a 1991 ford all you really need is a jumper wire and
a service manual. You just short two wires together and the engine light
will flast out the codes.

You can buy a $35 tool which comes with an instruction book that tells
how to use it and what the codes mean.

The ford has severial computer diagnostics that test most of the engine
and tell you if it is working correcty. There is the key on engine off
test that is very helpful and then there is the key on engine running
test. It will flag EGR valve problems and transmission problems. It
enable me to repair the transmission twice. Still running at 200,000 miles.

It is not food at catching ignition problems though.

You might take an ohm meter and test the throttle position senser.
That will make the engine crap out at certain speeds. AutoZone might
test that for you also.

Or Autozone if you do not want to get the tool.