[AT] OT Ford

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 19:10:37 PST 2004

Jerry,

Could be a lot of things.  FWIW, try driving at a steady 45 or 50 if you can
with a fully warmed engine, then pull in your yard or wherever and shut it
off quickly.  Remove two or three plugs and check the color.  If they are
toward the white side in color, not quite enough gas.  May have to open the
main jet one or two thousandths if needle adjustment doesn't help, and float
level is correct.  If plugs go toward black, too rich and have to go the
other way. If you are able to measure carefully, a float gage can be made
from a piece of pasteboard.  You will need a repair book to tell you the
gage size, and where to measure. I am guessing that has electronic ignition,
so point gap and condition are not an issue.

My "76 with a 300 cid was a dog from day one.  It lost 10-15 mph going up
every hill in 3 rd gear, although it didn't skip.  When I finally got brave
enough to ream the main jet .002", it was a whole nother story.  I could
gain speen going up the same hills and the mpg didn't change.

Good luck,

Charlie V.