[AT] Small Farm Tractors vs Garden Tractors

Robert Brooks rbrooks at hvc.rr.com
Mon Mar 8 10:20:26 PST 2004

About 7 years ago when I first brought home Elmo my 1948 Cub I had a
neighbor ask me to bring my truck over and pull his BIL out of a
ditch.  They have a long narrow gravel driveway, with ditches on either
side, and apparently he wasn't paying attention when off the edge of the
driveway and managed to both drivers side wheels of the pickup in the mud
up to the frame rails.

Well Joan had the Blazer so I offered to bring Elmo over and pull him
out.  His comment was no they had already tried to pull the truck out with
his new 20HP Wheel Horse and if that won't pull it out, it would be a waste
of time to try with an old 8HP tractor.

I convinced him that it was worth a try and that if Elmo couldn't pull him
out then I would run the truck over when Joan got home.

At the time Elmo had calcium in the Ag tires and weights on all 4 wheels.

I hitched the chain they had used with his tractor to the draw bar and
pulled the truck out in about 1 min.  I didn't even get the tires to spin.

Seems there is HP and then there is a tractors ability to do work.

What Dan didn't understand and should have is that my little 8hp Cub out
weighed his Wheel Horse by at least 1500 lbs and that the Cub was geared to
pull not mow lawns at 10MPH

So there really is a big difference between a farm and lawn and garden tractor.

Bob
rbrooks at hvc.rr.com
Elmo 1948 Cub
Rock Tavern, NY