[AT] OT - Microsoft's Browser is Vulnerable

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Wed Jun 30 19:18:51 PDT 2004

Steve W. wrote:

>Too bad they are full of S^&%.   EVERY OS/ Browser/ and mail program has
>security flaws, The main reason MS gets hit so much is that they own
>close to 90 percent of the market and you only make headlines if you hit
>the biggest target. If you bother to install the updates and a few other
>apps you don't have much to worry about. The BIGGEST problem are the
>IDIOTS who don't bother to update or do any other things as prevention,
>they get hit and then start to cry about it. Just like 99 percent of the
>other "victims" in the world.
>
>I run Windows ME and IE 6 along with OE6 and surf the web a LOT and have
>never had ONE problem. I also don't open attachments without scanning
>them first. I don't open ANY attachment I'm not expecting and I keep
>track of updates. I also shut down a lot of the "Extras" on the programs
>because HTML in mail is the stupidest idea ever. Same with half of the
>other crap that is in there. BUT people out there think that the fancy
>crap helps them, all it really does is make them look like a 10 year old
>looking for attention.
>
>Oh and for the Mac users and Linux folks who say "I can't be hit with a
>virus because my OS is safe"  WRONG. There are various items out there
>that can hit you IF your stupid.
>
>Steve Williams

Whether "you're stupid" or not, the fact is that Microsoft's products
are more vulnerable and are targeted more.

Microsoft's are the primary targets of virus writers due to their market
share. It is true that operating systems and browsers that are not made
by Microsoft could be just as vulnerable, but they are generally not
targeted as Microsoft stuff is.  Where I work we use Microsoft software
and the IT department is extremely diligent against viruses yet we still
get hit hard at least once a year with significant down time.

Rob
PA