[AT] IH cub

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Mon Jun 14 14:50:10 PDT 2004

Cecil E Monson wrote:

>> Cecil has had a Cub for 2 months now, and suddenly he is an expert.
>> Actually, what he described is the clutch release "bearing", which is
>> not a typical roller bearing but a carbon-like ring that gets greased
>> (by most Cub owners) once every 10 years or so.
>

>     Mike has a right to pick on me because he has a tractor stuck
> in the mud and I don't.  ;-)  And it's not a Cub either, it's a fairly
> good sized International.  Maybe some day he will tell the story, won't
> you, Mike?  I may have to drive down there to help him get it out before
> the story is over.
First, I apologize for kidding Cecil about his expertise - he approaches
every machine with a thoroughness, research, and careful eye that I can
only admire. But I can pick on you because I have half a dozen Cubs and
taken several of them apart in the last 20 years or so. And yes, I have
my Farmall 560D nicely stuck in the black muck at the edge of my swamp.
So far, I have been able to use the down pressure on the Fast Hitch to
raise the rears high enough to get stout oak planks under them, but the
front wheels (narrow front end) are down about 18" in a trench of my own
making by "rocking" the tractor back and forth. Well, "rocking" isn't
quite the correct term: it seems that when there is tension on the
transmission, I cannot get the *&%$ thing out of gear. When I lift up
one of the wheels and let it turn, I can easily move the gear lever. If
things ever dry out enough down there, my next attempt will be to put
some cribbing down in the trench and jack the front wheels up high
enough to support them at ground level and then drive the tractor out.
At least that is the plan; none of the other dozen attempts have
resulted in any success. It is a good idea not to let your biggest
tractor be the one that gets stuck. :-(

>     Actually, I have two Cubs now, Mike. I've had one for about a
> year and a half and the second one since November last year. The thing
> about Cubs is they look so damned CUTE you don't look them over close
> enough before turning loose of the money. Lots of things can be wrong
> with them, I find, and not all are one day repair jobs.
The Good News is that most of the pieces are not very big nor too
expensive. So even when you do find something really bad, it isn't all
that much of a disaster (like, for instance, the non-working TA on my
stuck 560).

>     I am lucky with my two Cubs. As of this morning anyhow, neither
> of them have any expensive sounding noises, both start right up without
> heavy choking, both run without smoking and everything works. The only
> problem with the last one of mine is in the adjustable front end and that
> will be cured soon I hope.
>
>     I've spent the last year reading the posts on the Cub Bulletin
> Board, especially those from George Willer, Jim Becker, Big Dog and
> John Puckett and others. I've tried to learn from reading what they
> write and so far it has served me well. I don't know how Don is going
> to make out with his but I can tell you, I look for the easy stuff
> before tearing anything apart. Don could do well to do the same thing
> by reading some of the archives concerning strange noises in the Cub.
There just aren't that many pieces to a Cub - if the noise isn't from
the engine or rear axle, it has to be in the transmission. :-)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Politics Is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.- Ronald
Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th US President