[Steam-engine] Drill Doctor

Ben Carpenter benlist at benc.com
Sat Jul 17 08:03:54 PDT 2004

Jeff

I have a drill doctor.  I have had good results with it, but.  I purchased
one from a vendor at a steam show.  I used it for about a year and all of a
sudden was having problems getting the drills to cut after sharpening them.
I was getting negative relief behind the cutting edge instead of positive.
I contacted drill doctor company and after discussion with them they
indicated mine was made when they were having some problems so they replaced
it.  I have not had any problem since then and the drill sharpened with it
cut very well.

Now notice Orrin had indicated a problem with some drill and the pitch of
the spirals.  I can not see where this would be a problem because the setup
uses the very tip of the drill for timing of the chuck.  That does not mean
that different pitches of the spiral will not cause a problem.

You will have to take my statement and Orrin's statement and consider the
options and make your own discussion.

Ben Carpenter
<benc at dmci.net> <www.benc.com>