[AT] SEMI OT: Friend Needs Kubota help

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Jul 16 07:11:13 PDT 2004

New idea?  Probably not.  It sounds to me like the shop simply put on a
generic blade.  The reason why it "took so long" to come up with this
idea is that when it comes to cutting grass EFFICIENTLY, the blade needs
to create a vacuum so that the grass stands up as the blade passes over
it.  A simple twist or symmetrical bend in the tip doesn't do it as
efficiently and you'll probably experience streaks of grass left where
the wheels mashed the grass down and it didn't get picked up by the air
current.

The crimps and bends that are put in mower blades are fairly purposeful.
Making them symmetrical simply throws all the wind tunnel testing that
took place on airplanes, windmills, fans, and other air movers out the
window.

A good mower blade will pick up dirt -- even the low-vac styles.  As a
matter of fact, I throw more blades away from my customers mowers
because of wear caused at the bend of the "wing" than for any other
reason.  A good mower blade is being constantly sand blasted by the
silica it picks up and it will wear through at the bend to the point
that the wing starts to flutter, a fatigue crack appears, and if left
without replacement the wing will break off while the mower is running
and become a dangerous missile.

This is probably more than you wanted to know.

Larry