Using tractor driven tillers(wasRe:[AT]AllisChalmersB-1lawn tractor

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Jul 15 15:04:46 PDT 2004

Gil,  I do some commercial mowing.  Not a lot but I have a couple of really
good customers.  I have about found all the bad spots on the guy paths of
the transmission towers I mow but every now and then I hit something hard.
Unlike some guys who go slow and charge by the hour I go at it hard and fast
and charge a flat rate. ( To do what I do you have to be lucky and so far I
have been.)   When I hit something the normal reaction of the tractor is
wheel spinning, black smoke (and it's gas) and lots of bad noise from the
bush hog.  It's not uncommon for it to just cut the tractor off as if I
turned the key.  I've never broken anything, including shear bolts, but
there is no telling how much damage I've done to gears, etc. over the years.
I did twist up that pto shaft year before last.

When the shear bolts break I'm always running along easy.  Usually about 20
minutes from finishing a job and a long ways from my tool box.

Charlie