Using tractor driven tillers (was Re: [AT] Allis Chalmers B-1lawn tractor

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Jul 13 17:35:42 PDT 2004

> Cecil,  remember that your D-12 III has (or probably has) a wet clutch in
> the PTO housing.  The clutch plates are mounted in an aluminum hub.  Ask me
> how I know.
>
> I think part of the problem with roto-tillers is that people don't use them
> correctly.  They are intended to prepare a seed bed in good soil.  They
> aren't meant to be scarifiers for digging up rocks, stumps, asphalt and
> concrete.
>
> I wonder if there is room to put a friction clutch in front of your
> roto-tiller?  You know, the kind that you see on the drive shaft of some
> brush cutters.
>
> Charlie

	I didn't know it was a wet clutch but I sure like the way it
works. Using the bush hog, you don't have to stop or clutch or anything
to engage or disengage the bush hog. Works great and a pleasure to use.

	The way I am going to use this thing is to eliminate once and
for all walking behind that TroyBilt rototiller. Tilling by hand lost
it's charm a few years back and I have been looking for one of these.
I don't intend to stop my spring plowing and don't mind discing because
I can sit on the tractor and let it do the work. So my intent is to just
use this as the final leveling step before planting. Doesn't have to go
deep and I just want the surface level and easy to mark for planting.

	There could be a place to put a friction clutch. The farmer where
I bought this got home too late tonight to load it on my truck so we made
arrangements to do it tomorrow afternoon and I don't have it home yet to
measure. I doubt I would need a friction clutch but by the same token, it
could very well have one already on it. This appears to be a pretty well
made tiller.

	We shall see.

Cecil
what you said.