[AT] Diesel Starting Safety Reminder

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 08:11:56 PST 2004

Tim the law covers children from the age of 14 to 18 they have to take and
pass a tractor safety and driving test put on by qualified people. They are then
given a license or permit what ever you want to call it to operate a tractor.
This is on all property public or private. One of the things that gets me is
they cannot tow anything behind the tractor on a public road. Really makes it
hard for people to use kids to farm with with. Also makes it almost impossable
for city kids to get a license for tractors because no one will take the time
to train them to pass the test which is quite extensive in driving the
tractor though certain types of cituations to show that the kid can safely operate
the tractor.
I have a 16 year old who works for me at times and i let him drive both of my
tractors but if i get caught I could be in trouble and if hegets hurt I am in
big trouble. But he is so good at it and so careful that I don't get to
excited. He grew up on small kubota that his dad has and is quite good at operating
my tractors. he was a little scared the first time he ran the big Cae LA but
I stood on the platform with him and he took to it a dog takes to water ( well
anyway my dogs).
If things were like this when i was a kid the farms would have gone broke
looking for someone to help with the farming.
My daughter tells me that the same law is in effect in Nebraska where she
lives. My grandson got his lisence when he turned 14 he also got his regular
drivers lisence at the sametime.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361