[Farmall] U-haul and tractor hauling

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 22 13:08:51 PST 2004

I have hauled a Cub in a small rental box truck, but it wasn't all that
satisfactory (I had little choice at the time).

There are several disadvantages to using a box truck, as others have
suggested:

It is very difficult to properly secure a tractor inside a truck,
although I have to say that the tractor dealership where I worked used
to take deliveries of new compact tractors in 45' trailers. The trucking
company used to nail timbers in front of and behind the wheels to keep
them from rolling. I think that it is a risky practice, at best.

Depending on the configuration of the truck, you many end up with
protruding fender wells inside the body, making loading and unloading
difficult.

The inside height of the body many not be enough for the SH or M.

The rental trucks are driven by anybody and everybody, and even though
the companies try to have their agents maintain them, there have been
recent stories on the TV news of how horrible some of those trucks
really are (and these were name brand outfits, not Joe Shmoe Rental Co.)
Let's face it, by the time the rental companies get rid of a truck, it
is pretty well used up.

You are going to have to register, inspect, insure, and maintain any
truck as if it were being used daily, even though you might only use it
a couple of times a year.

For all of the above reasons, most folks invest in a flat bed utility
trailer, usually one with two 3500 lb axles, brakes on both axles, and
either a ball or pintle hitch. Tags are cheap, maintenance is
minimal,and the insurance minor (usually part of the tow vehicle's
policy). Then they tow the trailer with a 3/4 ton pickup or larger (I
use a 1 ton mason dump). You can use a lighter trailer and truck if you
are just going to haul a Cub, but a SH or M (at 5000+ lbs) requires at
least a trailer rated at 7000 lbs and a tow vehicle with 8,000-10,000
GVR to be safe. You also have to consider the width of the rear tires -
most low bed utility trailers have an inside width between the wheel
wells of about 84". A true flat bed can be as wide as 102" and still be
legal, but you either have to have a tilt-bed trailer or drive the
tractor up taller ramps. Some folks put an electric winch on the front
of the trailer to help the tractor get up. Also to be legal, each tie
down chain and chain binder needs to be able to support the entire
weight of the load.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who
are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. -Mark Twain,
author and humorist (1835-1910)