[AJD] Drilling and Tapping

Bus Driver mpmbd at yadtel.net
Tue Dec 21 17:37:07 PST 2004

Be very certain about what you are doing before starting. In most cases,
holes that have merely stripped threads can be made better than original
(but kept original size) by using Heli-Coil inserts. Plan in advance how you
will align the drill and tap for those with the original hole(s). I built a
drill jig for installing inserts in the final drives of (please forgive me)
Farmall Cubs. It aligns all three at the same time. Certainly my search for
a tapping lubricant is not exhaustive, but for tapping cast iron, Marvel
Mystery oil works wonderfully. The Heli-Coil tools are not low cost, but
neither are the alternate methods.