[AJD] Drilling and Tapping

Terry L. Hrdlicka th01209 at alltel.net
Tue Dec 21 19:10:55 PST 2004

Cal,

Cast is not that hard to tap.  Lots of oil and don't force it too hard.
  You can try to run a tap through the stripped hole and see if you can
clean it up enough to hold a bolt.  As for the broken one, you might
want to try to punch a "dimple" as close to dead center as you can, soak
it up good with PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil, and try to
drill it out with a "left handed" drill bit a little smaller than the
bolt.  A lot of times, you'll get half way through and the broken bolt
will screw itself out.

YMMV

Terry (NØWJV)