[AT] Ford 8 N

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:03:53 PST 2004

>Mike Sloane wrote:
>
>>Hydraulic Lifters? The 8N has a flat head engine that was first used in
>>the 1939 9N. Hydraulic lifters weren't even dreamed of back then. :-) >>
>>Mike

Aw Gee Mike,

I have to pick up on this one.  As a boy, I remember being the chief parts
washer when my Father did a valve job on his 1947 Cadillac flat head V8.  I
washed up an entire set of 16 hydraulic valve lifters.  With this in mind,
did a little research and found the statement below:

Eaton was an industry leader in the introduction of hydraulically actuated
tappets, with the first introduction of hydraulic lifters for North American
automotive applications in the 1930's with the 1932 Pierce Arrow. Eaton
pioneered the development of hydraulic lifters to achieve improved emissions
and fuel economy through extensive research and development activities.

That being said, you may be 100% correct as far as the tractor world goes.
When I was a kid, we had to crank start all the ones we had, as well as the
combine and bailer.

Have a good night.

Charlie V in WNY