[AT] Ford 8 N

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Wed Dec 8 14:23:56 PST 2004

I have 2 9N's with 6' finish mowers.  I have an over running clutch on the
one with a 3 pt that also occasionally used to power a bush hog. (the M with
3 pt does that job now).  One advantage of the ORC is that it keeps the
gears from binding so you can shift when you stop.  This is a problem on the
one with a belly mower... but where would you put the ORC?  Unlike the 8N
with its' constant mesh transmission, the early N's have sliding gear
transmissions.

For those who may not know, there is now an aftermarket kit to convert the
N's to live PTO.  It's made by Zane Sherman in TN who also sells the
position control for the 9N's.  I think it's a little pricey, but it has
some expensive components.

George Willer