[Farmall] cleaning solvents...steam clean

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Fri Aug 27 08:13:39 PDT 2004

Morning Bob!   Several years ago I spent a whopping $50 for an old portable
oil fired steam cleaner that I use now quite a bit.  I had to weld up some
cracks in the coils that froze when somebody forgot to drain the system one
winter.  It works on the water pressure in the hose and steam pressure that
builds up (not over 175 lbs. psi).  The steam cleaner will remove almost
any hard grease---if you have all day to wait for it to soften up!  I
always use my pressure washer (3000 psi) to knock off the bulk of the dirt
and grease--resorting to scraping the really tough stuff.  Mostly use some
"pressure washer solvent" with the steam cleaner as a final step before
painting to remove any oil film.  That's about the only thing the solvent
is good for in my experience.  I've heard that spraying down a piece of
equipment with diesel and letting it soak in for several days is effective
for removing the old baked on grease.  Haven't tried that yet.  Painting a
tractor would be such a pleasure if someone would just come up with a
formula to make dirt and grease disappear with the flick of a stick!   One
thing to mention is if you have a good pressure washer a VERY worthwhile
assessory is a turbo nozzle.  Really knocks the dirt off fast.  I guess
they make a high pressure hot water/steam cleaner that would probably word
great, but that's way beyond my tractor budget!    John Wilkens