[Farmall] cleaning solvents...steam clean

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 27 10:57:38 PDT 2004

Good morning, John!  It would be nice to have a "quicky" method for
painting preparation.  My last -- yet unfinished - paint job was my F12.  I
sandblasted it to bare metal, replaced the various oil seals, and primed
it.  To my vast disappointment, virtually all jointed surfaces to the
tranny started weeping through the gasketed surfaces!  I drained all the
oils and decided to let it sit until the weeping stops!

I rented a steam cleaner for one cleanup job.  Nice little diesel-fired
unit.  Actually it was sort of a last ditch effort to avoid scraping off
the real hard stuff.  I had pressure washed the tractor prior to the steam
cleaning.  It was a bit disappointing -- the steam cleaning didn't take
much additional off.  I would try steaming first next time -- but this is
unlikely to happen since it cost $90+/day rent.

I've tried diesel as a solvent.  It really is not much good for the
heavier, older deposits.  Since it is just a light grade oil or
hydrocarbon, it is not realistic to expect it to be a great solvent.  I
tried it primarily because a number of ATIS folks seemed to think it was
great.  Kerosene is better and cleaning solvent (if available) is better yet.

For me the approach seems to be to scrape off the heavy stuff with a blade
of some type, pressure wash, paint stripper (with methylene chloride),
re-pressure wash, sandblast, scrape again if anything is left, then prime.

It surprised me to find nicely painted areas underlain by old
grease!  After seeing how some dealers repaint, it is not too surprising
the gunk is there but it continues to amaze me how well the paint sticks
sometimes!

Bob