[Farmall] cleaning solvents...steam clean

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 06:43:10 PDT 2004

I have a Steam Jenny that I bought at a sale for
$12.50 and have been using it a bit and like it.  I is
not a total repalcement for solvents or oven cleaner
though.  Mine is oil fired so to use it you have to
fill it with fuel, plug it in to 110V AC, and hook up
a water hose.  You can also put soap in the dispensor
if you like.  My best results have been treating the
part to be cleaned with the "purple stuff" degreaser
or oven cleaner then steam it off.  The heat does a
lot to melt away the grease.  You must be very careful
when using the steam cleaner.  I quickly learned not
to spray into blind corners because the hot water
comes back on me! OUCH! I am working on cleaning up my
steam engine now and nothing seems to work good on
that.  It has 99yrs worth of grease that just won't
come off.  Much of it is steam cylinder oil that is
meant to withstand high temps though.  Now I'm soaking
the areas with diesel hoping it will soften the rock
hard grease.

> I wonder if any ATISers are using hot steam
> cleaning??
>
> Bob Holtzer

=====
Andy Glines