[Farmall] cleaning solvents

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 26 17:25:43 PDT 2004

Hi, Bob!

I bought a gallon of carb cleaner a year or two ago -- probably from Kragen
or NAPA.  Haven't checked on it lately.  It has a substantial amount of
methylene chloride, one of my persona favorite cleaners.  Like most potent
solvents, it has to be treated with a lot of respect.

When I oven-cleaned the F12 I just hosed it off with water.  It left a bit
of red stuff on the ground which dried and was easily scraped up.  The lye
component not consumed in the process will react with superficial soil -- I
could see no adverse effect.  Given that the weed growth has not subsided
in the immediate area I am doubtful there is any problem.

Lacquer thinner and methylethylketone are both quite volatile but easily
retained in a screw top can -- such as the gallon can they come in at Home
Depot.  MEK is classified as a hazardous material as I recall -- don't
remember the category however and my DOT handbook is 120 miles away at present!

I liked cleaning solvent for general parts cleaning.  Got it at my local
fuel dealer in Elk Grove.  Unfortunately any residuals had to be (legally)
disposed of at a hazmat site.  Kerosene does pretty good but not as well as
cleaning solvent.  Both are largely hydrocarbon based.

Tetrachloroethylene in pressure cans is really great for smaller stuff and
also as a final spray on primer to remove any oily stuff prior to
painting.  I used carb cleaner containing this chemical.  It has been
increasingly difficult to find and the non-chlorinated material is not
nearly as good.

I wonder if any ATISers are using hot steam cleaning??

Bob Holtzer