[Steam-engine] water level

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 06:00:31 PDT 2004

I have a question on the required water level for my
1905 Huber 16.  This weekend I noticed the
relationship between the sight glass/gauge cocks and
the tubes in the boiler.  The Huber return-flue boiler
has no crown sheet but rather a large central fire
tube equipped with a soft plug like a crown sheet
would have.  You can see a section view of a Huber
boiler by looking at Paul Pavlinovich's site
http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/faq/simple/boiler/index.html
  scroll down the page until you get to "The Return
Flue Boiler".  You can also see a few pics of my
engine from when Brice Adams was the owner on Paul's
page.  The gauge glass on my engine is on a water
column much like a Case engine.  I noticed that the
level of the glass and the lower test cock is below
the top row of tubes.  If left to get very low in the
glass the top row of tube will be completely exposed
and another partially exposed.  So long as there is
water in the glass there is adequate water over the
fire flue.  Please note that the top row of tubes in
my boiler is higher than the ones depicted in Paul's
picture.  Is there similar danger in flues being
exposed to the crown sheet being exposed?  Will
overheated flues cause a dangerous flash steam
condition.  I know that I want them covered at all
times but do I need to move the water column?

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN