[Steam-engine] water level

Andre Blanchard andre at usermail.com
Fri Aug 20 07:07:03 PDT 2004

My information in this area is based mostly on what I have read or learned
from others, so for what it is worth.

> I have a question on the required water level for my
> 1905 Huber 16.  This weekend I noticed the
> relationship between the sight glass/gauge cocks and
> the tubes in the boiler.  The Huber return-flue boiler
> has no crown sheet but rather a large central fire
> tube equipped with a soft plug like a crown sheet
> would have.  You can see a section view of a Huber
> boiler by looking at Paul Pavlinovich's site
In stationary return flue boilers the fire is not in a large flue but under
the boiler.  These boilers have the soft plug in the rear tube sheet just
above the top row of tubes.  Does the Huber have a second plug in that
location?

> http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/faq/simple/boiler/index.html
>   scroll down the page until you get to "The Return
> Flue Boiler".  You can also see a few pics of my
> engine from when Brice Adams was the owner on Paul's
> page.
This it?
http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/restore/huber/

>        The gauge glass on my engine is on a water
> column much like a Case engine.  I noticed that the
> level of the glass and the lower test cock is below
> the top row of tubes.  If left to get very low in the
> glass the top row of tube will be completely exposed
> and another partially exposed.  So long as there is
> water in the glass there is adequate water over the
> fire flue.  Please note that the top row of tubes in
> my boiler is higher than the ones depicted in Paul's
> picture.  Is there similar danger in flues being
> exposed to the crown sheet being exposed?
Since the hot gases have to travel the length of the fire flue and turn back
into the tubes there should be much less chance of those tubes reaching
anything like the temperatures possible for a crown sheet.

> Will
> overheated flues cause a dangerous flash steam
> condition.
>From what I have heard over heated tubes mostly just start to leak, at worst
collapse.  Even if a tube could completely disappear you would have two 3"
holes in the boiler which would result in a rapid release of energy but
nothing like an explosion.
The danger of being cooked would be much the same.
Collapse of the fire flue is a different matter and could result in a
release of energy at a rate that could be considered an explosion.

> I know that I want them covered at all
> times but do I need to move the water column?
Where is the level at the top of the glass?
I think I would at least mark the level of the top row of tubes.

> =====
> Andy Glines
> Evansville, IN

Thanks,