[Steam-engine] Water Level

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 10:55:13 PDT 2004

I'm working on the Huber return flue boiler and have a
couple of questions about the proper water level.  The
construction style of my boiler means that it has no
crown sheet.  There is a fusible plug in the top of
the firetube.  This boiler has flues that are well
above the top of the firetube/plug.  The higher tubes
mean that they will be above the water line long
before the plug blows out.  What are the risks of
overheated tubes compared to an overheated crown
sheet?  If the tubes are allowed to get red hot could
they cause a flash steam event?  Will the tubes get
that hot?  You can see a cut away view of a Huber
boiler by looking at Paul Pavlionovich's web page.
http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/faq/simple/boiler/index.html

The flues in my boiler are higher than the ones on the illustration.

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN