[AT] another new shop

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Mon Aug 9 04:21:04 PDT 2004

Cecil E Monson wrote:

> He said a friend of his has one and he heats both his house and his shop
> with
> it. He said the guy fills the firebox a couple times a day and when the
> pressure builds too high, it blows off the excess pressure by blowing the
> relief valve on the furnace. This doesn't sound right or safe to me. I've
> always had hot water heating systems - for the past 50 years anyhow - and
> the pressure in mine is never over 8 to 10 lbs and certainly no where near
> high enough to blow a relief valve on the furnace. I'd be willing to bet
> you
> don't run yours that way. Wouldn't a normal expansion tank and air control
> on the outside furnace let it function the way any other furnace would
> operate?
I can't imagine any hot water circulating furnace that is operating
properly would build up enough pressure to activate the relief valve.
The system should have some kind of automatic damper control to cut back
the heat before the pressure rises to that point. It sounds like he just
runs it wide open all the time. I don't see how the furnace or piping
could last very long operating that way. (I suppose he could have a
defective relief valve that opens prematurely.) Tractor reference: just
like the radiator cap on a "modern" tractor engine.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
  -  George Santayana (1863-1952); US (Spanish-born) philosopher.