[AT] trailer lights

Bill Herrmann bherrmann at atis.net
Wed Apr 28 22:05:38 PDT 2004

At 11:57 AM 4/28/2004 -0500, Wayne Snelling wrote:
>To each his own. Keep in mind if you do run a ground wire from the vehicle
>to a trailer lights connector, if anything goes wrong on the trailer
>lights you blow the vehicle fuses, lights or even modules.

Um, that's what the fuses are for. If you're blowing anything other than
the fuses the trailer wiring isn't properly fused. You're a lot more likely
to blow modules etc. with phantom voltages caused by not running that
ground wire.

>lights) and vehicle and if the trailer lights do a massive short then you
>have a buffer.

That's what the fuses are for. Ideally each circuit that runs to the
trailer should be individually fused. Most vehicles fuse them in a group,
but it can be worth fusing them individually. As a bonus individual fuses
make it pretty easy to know where to look for the problem -and- likely
leave you enough lights to get home if it's not a field-fixable problem.
(though most problems should be if you take at least a minimal tool set
with you - Dad and I fixed an intermittent short in the trailer brakes in a
campground at the top of the Canadian Rockies once - darned inconvenient
when the trailer brakes suddenly go away... We were motivated to find and
fix it permanently!)

No, my vehicles aren't all individually fused, but I'd probably make up an
adapter with the fuses before using somebody else's trailer. With the
individual fuses you definitely want to do a light check.

There is a reason that the trailer wiring you can buy comes in number of
circuits plus 1. (and don't get me started on the idiot trailer
manufacturer's that think it's so you can split the 4 wires in half and
route them to the 2 sides of the trailer)

>  In fact, if you wire Chevy pickups in that manner you are sooner or
> later going to blow the ABS module in them.

Having the ground through the trailer ball isn't going to protect the ABS.
Having a fuse in the hot leads will.

Bill
'49 Farmall Cub