[AT] trailer lights

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Wed Apr 28 12:38:03 PDT 2004

At 09:23 AM 4/28/2004, you wrote:
>Greg:  I have bought many lights at TSC and they all have a ground wire.
>However, that ground wire is of no affect if you have a rusted connection
>between the trailer and the vehicle pulling it. I have found using grease
>on my ball hitches makes for excellent connection every time and the
>grounded lights on the trailers work fine. That is until you loan it out
>and it comes back with jerked off and cut wires.
>Wayne

A proper ground for a trailer uses a ground wire from the truck (or car) to
the trailer. A 4 wire connector (for trailers w/out brakes) has a ground
wire connection in it--it's the odd one. Wal-Mart has grounded trailer
lights, as does any trailer supply company. The cost with a complete wiring
harness should be under $30.00. An alternative (for about $30.00) is to
purchase a set of magnetic lights from U-haul and put them on the trailer
when you use it!
         dave