[AT] Transmission/Differential Fluid

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Fri Apr 16 14:25:44 PDT 2004

Dudley,  I probably don't know what I'm talking about but here is what I
think.  While the hydraulic pump deals with great hydraulic presure IF you
had a way to put a little set of scales in the gear teeth the load on the
gears would be much greater in, for example, the ring gear and pinion.
Other wise why would those gears be so heavy?

Charlie

Hi Dudley,
In a gear pump the fluid is traveling around the outside of the gears.
the meshing teeth act as a seal to keep fluid from returning to the low
pressure side.
Chuck Saunders
Kansas City, MO

Charlie & Chuck,
So I think your' saying is that the real work of the pump is the creation of
the centrifigal force which compresses the fluid as it is being circulated
around the pump gears and that there is really very little force exerted by
the pump drive gear teeth on the pump follower gear teeth.  And, thus, the
friction between the pump gear teeth would be minimial compared to that
between mating gears in the tractor back end and thus lubrication is of far
greater concern in the tractor back end.
I think I've finally got it (I guess the wheels are turning a little slow
today - I think I've been running in low gear all day in about 200 wt lube).
Thanks for responding -
Dudley
Snohomish