[AT] Transmission/Differential Fluid

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Apr 15 18:23:31 PDT 2004

Dudley:

I don't remember the thread about using transmission fluid in place of 80-90
weight Gear lube.  But since I have to use so much of the 80-90W stuff for
the large cavities in the old JD's I have searched around a bit to find some
reasonable priced stuff. The JD and Napa 80-90W oil is just too expensive
for the quantities I needed.

A few years ago I found 80-90W Gear Oil at the Costco in Yakima, WA in 5
gallon containers. I immediately bought several containers. I don't think
they sell it as 5 gallons however, I think it's by weight. Some odd measure.
I hadn't seen it at our local Costco's in Everett or Kirkland but I have
since discovered it at the Mount Vernon, WA Costco which is one heck of a
lot closer than Yakima. As I recall the container sells for $23 to $27. I
just don't remember the exact price now. That is less than half the price of
JD's version. I suspect I/H dealers have a similar high price.

I know this doesn't answer all of your questions but it is the most
reasonably priced bulk 80-90W oil I have found locally. I have it in all my
tractors w/o any problems so far.  $5 a gallon is sure better than $12 a
gallon. I suppose if one bought it in a 50 gallon barrel one could do even
better but I wasn't willing or ready to deal with those issues.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

CRS = Having a Photographic Memory but a shortage of unused film.

www.deerelegacy.com