[AT] Transmission/Differential Fluid

bwhdon acton at onramp.bz
Thu Apr 15 19:39:22 PDT 2004

I buy tractor hydrolic and trans fluid at walmart and car quest at about 23
bucks a 5 gallon pale, I never used the red trans fluid in my International
340 or ford 3430, they both need the 5 weight fluid used in the trans rear
ends and hydrolic system, I wouldn't think of using 80-90 in them and I
would never think of using the red light weight trans fluid in any of my
tractors that use 80-90 such as my early JDs, massey harris, cases etc. etc.
I get the 80-90 at walmart or car quest for about 30 bucks for a 5 gal.
bucket.  seems to me that some of the seal in the earlier stuff liked the
heavy weighted oils, and to me the light oil would just leak out the old
felt seals etc. Kinda like my 1913 T ford, it calls for 600 wt. rear end oil
and thats what I use, I kinda like what the manufacturer recommends over
rumours.

Don