[AT] Super M and encouraging sign at the Case/IH dealer

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Thu Mar 30 11:29:14 PDT 2023

The Super M returned home today.  The mechanic at the dealership had
eventually determined the knock was the result of a timing issue rather than
the type of metal-on-metal mechanical problem I'd feared.   While the
tractor was in the shop I also had them inspect and repair the charging
system, and replace the clutch/brake pedal shaft to fix excessive
side-to-side wobble in the clutch pedal (using a replacement shaft I'd
purchased two or three years ago for that very purpose but had never gotten
around to actually installing).   They adjusted the carburetor and clutch as
well.

Short clip of the tractor idling this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4R5a6W0ay80.  It sounded just the same before
I sent it to the shop, except in addition to everything you can hear now
there was a steady bang-bang-bang-bang-bang.

Ended up costing $1200 for a few miscellaneous parts, pickup and delivery,
and a bunch of shop time.   Not a small bill but that's exactly the same
dollar amount as the best freight quote I'd received to have the tractor
hauled round-trip to and from the retired IH mechanic I'd originally hoped
to have work on it, so I can't really complain.

I admit to some feeling of "Heck, Dean, you fool, you could have figured all
that out and done the work yourself if you'd tried hard enough," but I won't
lose any sleep over it.   Old house, old barns, lots of overgrown old
pasture, no shortage of stuff for me to work on during however many hours I
can make available for projects. so I'm glad to have the old tractor fixed
and back home and no longer on my "Figure this out and do something" list.

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio